CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Pages

19 November 2010

so... i might take that back.

i hate moisturizing on dry hair.


hate it, despise it, detest it, curse it, etc. etc.


how do people do it? maybe there are some naturals out there with magical afros that never get mushed, or flattened, or compacted while they sleep. maybe they can wake, shake (or fluff), and just go. *sigh* i can't imagine how blissful that must be. did they not get the frizz? the dryness and crackling? guess not.


as for me (and dear izzy). izzy is definitely my hair - she sleeps hard just like me. my springy spirals are effectively and tenaciously pressed against my scalp after a night of either deliciously deep sleep or tossing and turning. should i so much as look at izzy in the morning the wrong way, she'll frizz up. i try to tenderly, gently poke the tips of my fingers into the thickets of my curly roots in some kind of feeble attempt to get my coils to spring to life. 


if i can't do it with my fingers, what can a moisturizer do? psh. out comes the trusty spray bottle, and with it, the drippies for at least ten-fifteen minutes. damp ears and a moist scalp are not the business in fall, with winter creeping around the corner. even more so when you're running late for class. but that seems to be the only way to get izzy into some semblance of cooperation. what else could i do? the drippies were driving me up the wall!


the one day, it hit me. smacked me in the face as i was rubbing one eye, lazily inspecting my afro with the other. what did i care? no honestly, what did i care if izzy looked like she was cooperating? she was daring, just like me! obviously, if "moisturizing"my hair just made me how aware of how dry it was, then i must not have been doing it right, or not using the right products.


if it was the products, i'd been hearing people going on about water-based moisturizers, but i never really cared? what did i care? my hair was always fine before. but with this new color, obviously "fine" wasn't gonna cut it now. luckily, i'd been shopping around for water-based moisturizers and settled on the leave-in from jasmine's.


i grabbed the moisturizer (jasmine's shea butter cream rinse leave-in) and slathered it over my head... no cracklies? no tangles? i can move my hair? afro perfectly shaped?


BINGO!


why had i refused to try this for so long?! this was maybe two or three weeks ago and me and my hair have been doing fine! i felt like a huge dope - why did i wait so long?! i still can't believe it! drippies are down by 90% percent! styling time is five minutes max!


it just goes to show that i have become stagnant with experimenting with  my hair and a little exploration is essential - learn your hair and what works. try new things, you may like them!


i will say however, i have noticed that i use a lot more product on dry hair versus wet hair. if i had to wager a guess, it'd be because it's much easier to spread the product through damp hair. i am still looking to try more water-based moisturizers!


what are some things new that you've tried with your hair? what moisturizer do you like? chime in. :) i love suggestions. i hope everyone is growing and learning along with their hair!

4 comments:

Ashley Patrice said...

a moisturizer that i love love LOVe is Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. It does wonders for my hair and smells amazing. That with some evoo and avocado butter and you literally can't tell me anything!


http://www.mahogany-queen.com/

Melyssa said...

it's sooo funny that you suggest that because i HATE shea moisture! entirely and utterly dislike it! lol

but thanks though!

Urban Napps said...

see... now I've added this to wish list (jasmine's shea butter cream rinse leave-in). When I had a TWA it did happen to me, my hair would be all flat & compressed in the morning lol. Try Scurl or StasoFro basically any water based moisturizer.

Diara

www.urbannapps.com

Melyssa said...

you know, i've heard a lot about curl activators being good moisturizers! the glycerin in it scares me, though, especially with it being winter.

once i'm off my no buy, it'll be summer so maybe i'll try it then. thanks!